Trying to shed some pounds? One of the most important meals of the day for fat loss is breakfast. Now don’t get me wrong, making a trip to IHOP or Waffle House will probably lead to some weight gain, however recent studies have shown that eating a healthy breakfast can lead to reduced calories later in the day. Skipping breakfast may actually trick your brain into thinking you want higher-calorie foods — foods that can increase your risk for weight gain.
But I get it, not everyone has time in the morning to make an awesome breakfast.
That’s why I wanted share some of my favorite quick recipes for fat loss breakfasts!
Breakfast Nutrition Tips
Here’s some important tips when it comes to the “most important meal of the day” and fat loss:
- Calories matter, but it’s mostly about what you’re eating. Reach for less processed foods, more whole foods (veggies, nuts, lean meats, beans, legumes, fruits, and healthy oils)
- Your first meal of the day should contain a healthy balance of protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats, and plenty of nutrients to get your body going.
- Busy morning? Make your breakfast the night before so you can grab it before heading out the door.
- Breakfast should contain about 25% of your daily caloric intake, eat up!
- Get your carbs from vegetables, whole grains, and fruits. Stick to carbs that contain plenty of fiber and are low in sugar.
- Stick to eating your higher carbohydrate meal in the morning or after you workout.
- Protein is your friend. Getting 1g of protein per pound you weigh will help maintain lean body mass, regulate your blood sugar, and encourage weight loss. For example, a 120lb female should eat 120g of protein per day (lean turkey, chicken, fish, nuts, legumes, beans, eggs, whey protein & low-fat dairy, etc.). A scoop of protein powder can be very useful in the morning.
- Eat fat to burn fat! Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated fats are important for your overall health and fat loss. The best choices to get your healthy fats in are: walnuts, almonds, olives and olive oil, avocado, and fatty fish like salmon.
- To encourage fat loss during the rest of the day focus on eating quality protein in small meals every 2-3 hrs
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day
Best Breakfast for Fat Loss Recipes
I love these breakfast ideas because they are quick and a great way to mix breakfast up during the week. Reaching your fitness and weight loss goals should be fun, simple, and delicious!
Many of the recipes you can use for a quick and awesome breakfast take advantage of protein powder. Here is more information on the protein and supplements we recommend at Champion.
Smoothies are awesome for packing in nutrition. This smoothie has plenty of protein, healthy fats and the right balance of healthy carbs. It’s so delicious, plus you can take it easily on the go!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- A serving of whey protein (chocolate or vanilla)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 a small avocado
- 1/2 frozen banana
- Large handful of baby spinach or kale
- dash of cinnamon
*Nutrition: 36g protein | 28g carbs | 6g fiber | 14g sugar | 9g fat | 310 calories
This is one of my favorites, because you make it the night before and it’s right there waiting for you in the morning! Mix these ingredients together and place in the fridge overnight. In the morning eat it as is or heat up in the microwave.
- ½ c. Oats (Plain old fashioned)
- a serving of whey protein
- ¾ c. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbps Peanut or Almond butter
- dash of cinnamon
*Nutrition: 31g protein | 34g carbs | 7g fiber | 6g sugar | 15g fat | 368 calories
Salmon Avocado Omelet
Omelets are an amazing way to get your vegetables in early! I’m a big fan because you can put so many different combinations in them (all sorts of different vegetables, lean turkey, salmon, feta cheese, etc.). This is the lowest carb option on the list!
- 2-3 whole eggs
- Chopped red and green peppers, onions, any other veggies
- 2 oz. Smoked salmon
- ¼ small Avocado, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons of feta cheese
*Nutrition: 33g protein | 5g carbs | 4g fiber | 24g fat | 357 calories
Yup. I said it “PANCAKES”. The super easy, healthy, pancakes that will help you reach your goals.
- 1 serving of whey protein (any flavor)
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- add a few slices of banana or berries
- top with a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter and cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free maple syrup
*Nutrition: 33g protein | 12g carbohydrates | 3g fiber | 9g sugar | 11g fat | 257 calories
*Nutrition facts are estimated and may vary depending on food brand (ex: different types of whey protein = different amount of protein and calories)
**All photos are original.
Give these breakfast recipes for fat loss a try and let me know what you think!